History of the General James Moore Chapter

Named for the first Brigadier General of the Continental forces in North Carolina, the General James Moore Chapter was formed at the home of the organizing regent, Loula Hall Briggs Brewer, on October 25, 1933. The names of the regent and the officers were then telegraphed to the Organizing Secretary General in Washington, D.C. The other officers were: vice regent, Petrona Powell Johnson; recording secretary, Susie Lanneau Powell; corresponding secretary, Grace Ward White; treasurer, Nancy Leland McKaughan; and registrar, Inez Keith Black. Other charter members were Mary E. Hall, Nannie Flintom Jones, Virginia Caldwell Lake, Leila Lankford Royall, Ada Lee Timberlake Utley, and Roselle McKinnon Wheelan.

The chapter namesake was born in New Hanover County, North Carolina, in 1737 into a politically prominent family who owned the Orton plantation in the Cape Fear River area. James Moore was one of only five generals from North Carolina to serve in the Continental Army. He was prominent in the activities of the Sons of Liberty and led a revolt against the Stamp Act. He commanded the forces at the Battle of Moores Creek Bridge and devised a trap for the Loyalists which resulted in victory for the Patriots, thus stopping the British plan for the conquest of North Carolina. After a winter march to Charleston, South Carolina, Moore returned to Wilmington and prepared his troops to march north to join General George Washington, but he was delayed due to the lack of money and supplies. He died at his “Vats” Plantation in 1777, leaving his wife Anne Ivey and four children. At the time, Moore was regarded as the ablest military leader in North Carolina. Moore’s name was suggested by Albert Ray Newsome, Secretary of the North Carolina Historical Commission and a strong advocate for the study and preservation of local history.

Since 1933, our chapter has engaged in many activities to support DAR goals. In 1939, the chapter dedicated a white marble headstone to mark the grave of Colonel Ransom Sutherland, North Carolina Minuteman, who lived in Wake Forest and was buried at his home two miles northwest of Wake Forest. During WWII, members of the chapter supported blood drives and sold war bonds. For over 30 years the chapter continued to act as a sponsoring agent for the Red Cross Bloodmobile. During the 1950s the chapter took on the project of furnishing every classroom in the Wake Forest schools with flags. The chapter’s 30th Anniversary was celebrated with a tea at the home of Regent Aycock on January 28, 1964, with a number of state officers attending. Over the years, the chapter has given awards to students, recognizing the study of history and good citizenship as well as working with the American Legion to urge merchants in Wake Forest to fly flags during Constitution Week and other patriotic holidays. In 1970, the chapter presented its old handmade flag to the Calvin Jones House, and in 1997 it presented a new flag to the Town of Wake Forest. The chapter honored a Wake Forest favorite son in 1989. North Carolina Supreme Court Justice, Dr. I. Beverly Lake, was awarded the prestigious Medal of Honor, the highest honor bestowed on a native citizen by the National Society. Gifts and contributions have been given each year to the Veterans Hospital in Durham, and the chapter supports DAR sponsored schools with gifts of money, clothing, boxtops and soup labels. Now with more than 100 members, the General James Moore Chapter remains committed to the goals of historic preservation, promotion of education, and patriotism.

The content contained herein does not necessarily represent the position of the NSDAR. Hyperlinks to other sites are not the responsibility of the NSDAR, the state organizations, or individual DAR chapters