Chapter History

Chapter Charter
Chapter’s Charter at
75th Anniversary Tea
 
Kings Mountain marker
Chapter’s DAR Marker
Kings Mountain
Military Park

The Major William Chronicle Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) was organized November 28, 1924, under the leadership of Grace Alexander Johnston and was officially chartered on February 12, 1926, with 50 members.

The chapter is named in honor of Major William Chronicle who was killed during the Battle of Kings Mountain on October 7, 1780, at the age of 25. Major Chronicle was known as the leader of the “South Fork Boys.” This battle is considered one of the turning points of the American Revolution given that it was the first major patriot victory after the British invasion of Charleston, South Carolina, in May 1780.

On June 18, 1930, the Major William Chronicle Chapter unveiled a marker erected in the Kings Mountain National Military Park in South Carolina. Officiating at the dedication ceremony was chapter member Mrs. Vennie Stewart Atkins. North Carolina State Regent Mrs. Charles Whitaker gave the address. A large boulder was removed from the Belmont home of Major Chronicle and placed at the park along with a bronze plaque. The inscription reads “Here fell Major William Chronicle Oct. 7, 1780 Erected by the Major William Chronicle Chapter D.A.R. Gastonia, N.C. 1930.”

Today, our chapter members remain dedicated to promoting patriotism, preserving American history, and securing America’s future through better education for children.

Web hyperlinks to non-DAR sites are not the responsibility of the NSDAR, the state organizations, or individual DAR chapters.