Continental Hall
Photo Courtesy Judy Knight
NCSDAR Honorary Regent Elizabeth Graham examines the bullet holes.

Photo Courtesy Jimmy Haire Photography


Historic Preservation

Sad Alston House Front
Photo Courtesy House in the Horseshoe State Historic Site
   Front of the Alston House Before Restoration

The Private John Grady Chapter NSDAR celebrated its 65th birthday with a focus on preserving the House in the Horseshoe also known as the Alston House. Both the National Society Daughters of the American Revolution and generous Sanford citizens supported our preservation project for much-needed repairs and exterior painting of our local Historic House in the Horseshoe.

Sad Alston House Front
Photo Courtesy House in the Horseshoe State Historic Site
      Scraping Off Old Paint

The house was built in 1772 by Philip Alston in a horseshoe–shaped bend of the Deep River. In 1781 a band of colonists was camped on the grounds when the British attacked them. The 1781 bullet holes can still be seen around the doors.

Later the house was sold to Colonel Benjamin Williams, who had served under George Washington in the Revolutionary War and became a four–term Governor of North Carolina. In 1970 the house was added to the National Register of Historic Places. The house now contains colonial and American Revolutionary War period antiques but it is the original bullet holes visible inside the first floor rooms that delight visitors most.

Restored House Photo

Photo Courtesy Diane Warren Family  

The Restored House in the Horseshoe

The content contained herein does not necessarily represent the position of the NSDAR. Web hyperlinks to
non-DAR sites are not the responsibility of the NSDAR, the state organizations, or individual DAR chapters.