two dogwood blossoms
NCSDAR Projects

Highlighted below are a few of the many on-going projects that members of the North Carolina Society, NSDAR, support.

NC Gibson Chapel at Tamassee school

Tamassee Gibson Chapel photo courtesy NCSDAR

North Carolina Gibson Chapel
Tamassee DAR School, Tamassee, South Carolina

The Place of the Sunlight of God

North Carolina members support the Gibson Chapel and the students at Tamassee DAR School. Operating for 100 years, Tamassee DAR School is a private, non-profit children’s home and family service organization offering multi-faceted programs to serve children and families in crisis. Their programs and services include on-campus childcare homes, middle school academy for day and residential students, individual and group counseling, enrichment and recreational activities and a college ⁄ after-care program. More information can be found at Tamassee DAR School

Crossnore School, Crossnore NC

Crossnore School photo courtesy NCSDAR

Crossnore School
Crossnore, North Carolina

Miracle in the Mountains

North Carolina members support the students at Crossnore School. Operating for over 100 years, Crossnore School is a private, non-profit school and children’s home in the mountains of western North Carolina. Crossnore provides residential foster care for children in crisis from all counties in North Carolina. For more information, visit the Crossnore School and Children's Home web site.

North Carolina Period Room
DAR Memorial Continental Hall

Washington, DC

The North Carolina Room is one of 31 period room museums at National headquarters. This room represents a dining room of the late 1820s. Dining rooms were found in wealthy homes by the mid-18th century. Prior to this time, rooms were used for many purposes. Function specific rooms were still a relatively new in concept by the 1820s and considered a mark of wealth.

The wallpaper is hand printed as it would have been during the early 19th century. Early wallpapers were printed on rolls made from sheets of linen rag paper glued together. Once the roll was made and prepared with the background color, the pattern was then hand printed using carved hardwood blocks. Each color requires an individual block. The paint used is distemper, and the colors (dark green, ochre, and white), as well as its mixture, are authentic to the period. The pattern, called “Middlefield Foliate,” was reproduced from an original in the New York State Historical Association, dating between 1825 and 1835.

NCSDAR period room

Photo Courtesy NSDAR

There are two sideboards in the room. The first is in the alcove next to the fireplace and was made in New York City during the late 1820s or early 1830s. It is in the late classical style featuring smooth surfaces of figured mahogany veneer and boldly carved feet. Cupboards and drawers below provide convenient storage space for cutlery and serving wares. The second sideboard was made in Baltimore, Maryland around 1800. This particular form was called a “sideboard table” and is made of mahogany. Although used for the serving of liquor and the storage of bottles and other dining accessories (as well as the occasional chamber pot), sideboards also functioned as places on which to display expensive silver items. The highly polished and reflective surfaces of furniture helped to highlight these special possessions as well as cast added light into the room.

The dining table is set for the final course of fruit and nuts. The setting and decor is based upon the famous painting by Henry Sargent entitled “The Dinner Party.” Note the three-tiered stand placed next to the host at the head of the table. This stand is often called a “dumbwaiter” because it reduced the need for servants. Items needed for serving are placed upon the shelves. Some hosts, notably Thomas Jefferson, used multiple dumbwaiters around the dining table so that diners could serve themselves. The table is set with a creamware dinner service. This set consists of more than 100 pieces, each with a central cipher consisting of a squirrel holding an acorn above the monogram “BB.” The border is composed of rose sprays in puce, sepia and green. The set was made in London in the 1790s by John Turner.

Back to top of page

The content contained herein does not necessarily represent the position of the NSDAR. Hyperlinks to other sites are not the responsibility of the NSDAR, the state organizations, or individual DAR chapters.